Today’s multifunction printers are feature-rich and more versatile, efficient, and convenient than ever before. Wireless capabilities allow users to order print jobs from any internet enabled device saving both time and money, but without the correct print drivers in place communication between the computer and the printer is lost. Read on to learn all you need to know about printer drivers to ensure the reliability and performance of your print fleet.
What is a Printer Driver?
A printer driver is a type of software program that allows various computer applications to communicate with the printer, by converting the data to be printed into a format that the printer can understand. Each brand and model of printer has its own unique driver software written for each type of operating system.
Signs You Need to Update Your Printer Driver
Computer systems require frequent updates in order to remain current with leading technology and to enhance security, and over time these updates may cause a conflict with your printer use. If you detect any of the following signs you may benefit from updating your printer drivers to ensure compatibility during the translation and transmission of documents between your computer and printer:
- Loss of quality – Document text and images may no longer appear crisp and clean.
- Missing print jobs – Documents may no longer arrive at the printer.
- Connectivity issues – Periodic or consistent issues may occur and connections between the computer and printer may be unstable.
- Printer malfunction – Unexplained print errors or print codes may occur.
How to Install a Printer Driver
Regardless of which operating system you have, updating your printer drivers is a relatively simple operation. To ensure success, use these tips to resolve any existing issues and prevent further problems from arising:
- Locate the make and model of your printer which should be listed on the side or back of the unit.
- Go to the manufacturer’s website to find the applicable update, keeping in mind that the latest update may not be the one you need.
- Follow the instructions to download and install the printer driver.
- Once the update has been installed initiate multiple test prints from a variety of applications to determine whether the update has resolved any underlying concerns.
Maximize the performance and reliability of your print equipment by keeping your print drivers up to date. Contact us to learn more.