As we begin to open back up, we’ll all have to adjust to a new way of working. With new CDC, and city regulations, there’s still an air of uncertainty and it’s easy to fall into negative thinking.
As a business owner, a positive attitude is the best way to support your clients and employees, and it will help you with the decisions you’ll need to make in the months and weeks ahead.
The Scientific Opinion
Science has weighed in on the benefits of positive thinking. Some benefits include:
- Increased Resilience – Staying positive during stressful times increases resilience and provides faster cardiac recovery. Blood pressure stabilizes faster and your heart rate slows.
- Boosts Immunity – A positive attitude helps you better manage the symptoms of illness.
- Helps You to Think More Clearly – A positive attitude improves decision making, creative thinking, problem solving, and objectivity. Maintaining a positive attitude can help you to view your situation constructively. It can also boost your team’s morale and can help you to recognize the opportunities that arise from every crisis.
What You Can Do
In a world full of uncertainty staying positive is challenging, to say the least. Here are some ways to promote positivity, for you, your employees, and your customers.
- Acknowledge Your Feelings – Admitting stress and anxiety and acknowledging these feelings can help you gain control. By managing negative emotions, you’ll shift your perspective.
- Practice Gratitude – Gratitude for the people and positive things in your life can have permanent positive effects on your brain. To help your team’s morale, consider instituting a gratitude practice in their day as well. It can be as simple as having them share what they’re grateful for before the morning meeting.
- Maintain Your Normal Routine – As much as possible, keep your day as normal as you can. Get up at your regular time, go through your typical morning ritual. If exercise is part of your morning and the gym is out, go for a walk or jump on your bike. Shower and start your day at the normal time, etc.
Staying positive has a powerful effect and can keep you on track during challenging times. As we begin to reopen businesses and resume our lives in the “new normal,” focus on staying positive for your team and customers. We’ll all get through this together!